Thursday, November 15, 2012

Speakers - Setting Fees For Workshops and Other Speaking Engagements (Purposely Not Called 'Gigs')

Speakers (of every different ilk, i.e., keynoters, workshop leaders, consultants, trainers, etc.) often wonder what to charge and how to decide their fees. Since I have been a speaker (in all of these roles) for many years, I've given this question a fair amount of consideration. Here are some ideas on how to determine your fee:

Sometimes, I do have a flat fee, but rarely. For example, for me to do a Productivity Power Day(tm) in someone's office - in the area where I live - then it's a flat rate. If I have to travel, it goes up some because I will be spending the night out of town, etc. Productivity Power Days are quite similar in scope and process, so it's one of the reason I can quote an exact fee right on my website or when someone calls me. For essentially all other endeavors (speaking & consulting), there is much more involved in making the determination.

For speaking engagements even within my own area, I have a base rate and then I make a final determination based on some (or all) of the following factors:
Is this a brand new workshop (speech, etc.) or one I've done before and will be able to offer in essentially the same way or with minor modifications? Are the people ones who will be easy to work with (or difficult to work with)? Often, I don't know this until I've worked with them in the past...and then I know, believe me! What is the expected number of participants? It takes far more energy to work with a group of 100 or 200 (for a workshop, for example) than a group of 35. So, I need to know the number of people who will be in attendance. Is this part of a series of workshops/seminars I will be doing for this group or is it a stand-alone? I prefer to work with people over longer periods of time - developing relationships and building community and trust. When people are interested in that as well, they receive a different price than those who want a one-shot event. If I am going out of area, then I take the following into consideration, as well:
Time zones crossed (more of an issue as I get older!) I add a certain amount for each time zone I hop. Ease or difficulty in travel (flying all the way across the country in one plane vs. hopping 3 different planes, taking a bus, then renting a car to even get 1/3 of the way across the country).

Speakers - Setting Fees For Workshops and Other Speaking Engagements (Purposely Not Called 'Gigs')

So, these are issues I take into consideration, but each person needs to determine what it is that makes the work easier or harder for him/her.

Sometimes, one factor to consider is whether you are trying to build up a market -- and in order to penetrate that market, you choose to price yourself a bit lower than you will later on...I have certainly done that (and continue to) in certain markets.

Always, always, always, however....remember the value you're bringing to your clients and price yourself accordingly. And to go back to the title, for heaven's sake, don't call what you do 'gigs'! Unprofessional and unworthy, in my opinion, which is what you got in this article, of course!

Speakers - Setting Fees For Workshops and Other Speaking Engagements (Purposely Not Called 'Gigs')
Check For The New Release in Health, Fitness & Dieting Category of Books NOW!
Check What Are The Top Cooking Books in Last 90 Days Best Cheap Deal!
Check For Cookbooks Best Sellers 2012 Discount OFFER!
Check for Top 100 Most Popular Books People Are Buying Daily Price Update!
Check For 100 New Release & BestSeller Books For Your Collection

If you want additional ideas for moving your speaking and consulting business forward, be sure to consult the Life of E's blog:

http://meggin.com/lifeofes/wordpress/

Topics ranging from money to productivity to speaking to writing to coaching to business set-up and more are featured there.

And, to make sure you are productive in your personal and professional life, you'll want to access the resources at

**http://www.TopTenProductivityTips.com

(c) 2009 by Meggin McIntosh, Ph.D., "The Ph.D. of Productivity"(tm)

Through her company, Emphasis on Excellence, Inc., Meggin McIntosh changes what people know, feel, dream, and do via seminars, workshops, writing, coaching, & consulting.

watches mobile phone Best Offer Genuine Brake Band

0 comments:

Post a Comment